19 January 2012

Planner Quotes

I love love love quotes. On occasion I steal them. My favorite book to steal quotes from is Mardy Grothe's viva la repartee, because it is, in short, a book of excellent comebacks.

I also keep a collection of quote books. Most of them are serious: quotes about writing, about religion, quotes from my parents, etc. But my favorite by far is the haphazard collection I keep in my planner. Every day I try to jot down one thing someone said that I want to remember.

It's different from an "important quote book." Important quotes are easy to remember - they're pounded into our culture, our collective psyche, our language.

To be or not to be. I have a dream. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Half a league, half a league, half a league onward. Give me liberty, or give me death. Four score and seven years ago. And thus, with a kiss, I die. So it goes.

Without such quotes on hand, we're virtually illiterate. What good are words if we don't steal them, repeat them, string them into a literary banner to rally around? What meaning can they have if we don't say, "these words have meaning" and believe it?

I love these quotes. I'm a sucker for classic sayings - for the perfect little sentence that sends a shiver down your spine. But at the end of the day, I want more than what others labeled as important. I want to remember what I want to remember. And so, here they are. Some quotes from my planner. They aren't profound, they aren't life-changing, they aren't even that interesting.

But I want to remember them. So there.

10/4 - Sometimes there is no middle ground. You hit a kid with a spear, you hit a kid with a spear.

10/11 - She might have been wishing she were somewhere else.

10/26 - Why don't we rubberize everything?

11/2 - No quote, but Henrikson hit himself in the face with a rubber stopper on a string today.

11/7 - Advice isn't good unless it rhymes.

12/12 - Let's run through the produce aisle!

1/10-Look at me! I'm a peach!
-Shut up, peach.

No comments: